A while back I mentioned that I’m building a miniature tack room. I also mentioned that this is part of a larger, somewhat insane project, which will involve building multiple rooms that will (potentially) fit together to make a full stable set up. Or rather, the illusion of one.
This is something that I have been wanting to do for years, but wasn’t sure how to accomplish. The inspiration actually came from binge-watching behind the scenes footage of the Hobbit films last year.
One particular set (Erebor/Smaug’s lair) was created with multiple pieces that could be moved around to create the illusion of a much larger space when filmed from different angles. (well that and a whole lot of CGI!) I wondered if it would be possible to use a similar idea with this fantasy barn I’ve been dreaming about. I clearly do not have the space to build a massive barn set up, but multiple box rooms seem a lot more manageable.
Because I can never keep things simple, this project started out with a sketch of the entire barn layout. I really wanted things to make sense. Where are all the doors located? Windows? Stalls? Rooms? The arena? Once I was happy with the design I started to work on putting together the box rooms.
The first (and only I’ve tackled so far) is the tack room.
This is a 14in x 14in x 14in cardboard box cut down to size. Cardboard isn’t the sturdiest or nicest of materials to work with I know, but it’s a heck of a lot cheaper than wood and easier for me to cut.
The floor was made from large popsicle sticks, and the walls were covered with white poster board. I’ve posted tutorials on how I made the saddle and bridle racks, and since then I’ve added a utility sink…
…and a few more saddle racks. (got to have a place to store all those saddle pads, you know!)
There’s also this crop/whip holder, which I threw together one night. Would there be an interest in a tutorial for it? The crops still need work… I have no idea what I’m doing.
The room isn’t totally complete, and it probably won’t be as I’m sure I’ll be going back to change, add or fix certain things later on.
To make as much use of the box as I could, I decorated two of the outside walls.
The first was made to look like the outside of the tack room:
It’s got a tiny bulletin board:
As well as a fire extinguisher, which was a dollhouse miniature I repainted with nail polish and added a proper label to.
The back wall with the window was made to look like the outside of the stable. It’s ugly because I messed up the siding and the window and, well, everything else…
But it’s not that noticeable in a background.
That’s all these are, really – elaborate backgrounds, haha!
But it’s fun and that’s what matters. The inner child is happy too. 😛