Challenge Accepted

In 2014, Lauren Mauldin shared a list of tack items she had yet to see in miniature. One of those pieces was a scrim sheet, which I started working on right away. I think I posted this on Facebook but it never made it to the blog so…

I was using a mesh type of material, and hand stitching pre-made bias tape around the edge. Turns out the tape I had was a couple inches too short, and since I didn’t have any more or know how to make it at that time, I put the sheet away and forgot about it.

Jennifer’s recent post on that same list got me thinking about trying again.

The first step was to decide on what fabric to use. The mesh I was originally using would have worked, but I wanted to find something with a smaller texture in different colors. Two fabrics I was considering were Voile and Chiffon, so I made a trip to Joann’s to see them in person. I lucked out and found a sample of each in their remnant bins. (good thing too, as the cut counter was super busy)

They’re very similar, but the voile has a bit more stiffness to it.

I really love the texture though. I think this would work nicely for fly sheets.

The chiffon has a better drape to it, but is much more delicate.

I ended up choosing the chiffon to give a scrim sheet a try.

On this sheet, I eliminated my usual back seam, sewing down a piece of thin ribbon instead. On the hip darts, I tried a sewing trick I’ve seen in multiple sewing videos, which is to add a piece of tissue paper underneath the stitching.

I could easily tear this away once the stitching was done. I’m also using my walking foot here, to help pull the material through.

Here’s what I ended up with:

The bias went on easier than I thought it would, and after adding some piping, a tail cord and a buckle in the front, the scrim sheet was done.

Even though this is a really simple sheet, it took me a long time to finish. Normally I avoid using these types of fabrics because they are slippery and frustrating to work with. I’m sure that’s something that will get easier with time and practice though.

I do have problems with one side flaring out, which could be because of the bias and added piping. I’m not sure if I can avoid that unless I add some sort of belly band.

Here’s a quick shot with it over a saddle:

Challenge accepted completed!

Georg

Georg, the 3rd release in the 2019 Premier Club, arrived early this week.

He is a Rhenish German Coldblood stallion sculpted by Brigitte Eberl.

I’m really, really happy with the color of mine. Usually the Premier models have flashier, more complicated coat patterns, so it’s refreshing to see a solid color instead.

He’s a little derpy looking from the front…

But he has a very sweet face and a gentle expression. โค

His dapples are nice too. I’m not sure if Breyer’s using a new technique or not, but the dappling seems to be consistently nice throughout the run. (at least from what I’ve seen, anyway!)

It’s not without some imperfections though… mine has a squiggly “S” shaped dapple on his show side. I actually busted up laughing when I noticed it. It inspired an S name anyway… Samwise, from Lord of the Rings. ๐Ÿ˜„

I’m really pleased with him though, and am happy to see another draft sculpture in Breyer’s lineup. He’s going to look so good in different colors!

All 2019 horses together:

For Sale: New Saddlebags

Two sets of saddlebags were finished up this week:

Even with a simplified pattern, these things are tedious to make, which is probably why I’ve put off making more all year. (sorry ๐Ÿ˜ฆ )

I liked the last version I made well enough, but still felt that some things needed to be improved. I was eager to see how adding the plastic buckles would look, and am really happy with the end result. These are much closer to how I originally wanted to make them years ago.

The ribbon adds a little more strength to the bag, and I’ve added a small felt piece in the bottom to help that as well.

I added a lining to the back (this is faux suede, with the wrong side facing out) after debating about it for a while. I’ve also been trying to remember to attach labels to my work, since I can’t sign pieces like these.

These two are up for auction on Model Horse Place: RED & GREEN