Archive for the ‘Misc Horse Gear’ Category

Saddlebag Rainbow

This past week I’ve been making saddlebags. Lots and lots of saddlebags.

These were redesigned to match the horn bagsΒ and use a simplified pattern. I stopped making saddlebags because, to be honest, they were a pain to make. This version is easier, and I think it looks cleaner. I hope it’s an improvement?

Here’s a comparison between the two. This black one was a reject because of excessive glue spots, (I HATE those they never, ever come off!) so I apologize for the ugliness, but it’s the only example I have. :3

The water bottle holders are a touch bigger, which annoys me, but I wanted them to fit some dollhouse bottles I have on hand. If there is a hobbyist out there who can 3D sculpt/print a 1:9 water bottle, contact me. Seriously. They don’t exist but they need to. I don’t want to sculpt a polymer clay one ever again! πŸ˜…

On a saddle:

These particular sets will not be for sale online. I am taking them with me to BreyerWest next month, where they will be available at the swap meet. (unless they don’t sell, in which case they will be posted later)

In case someone’s wondering, no, I’m not comfortable taking holds or pre-sales, and will I have more made up later? Yes, because I want to make them in ALL the colors, but I don’t know when that will be. I’m sorry it’s such a vague answer and I’m sorry I can’t take orders for everyone. Right now I’m very BreyerWest focused, so everything else is out of mind.

Read Full Post »

Yesterday I worked out a pattern for some more western saddle bags. These are designed to fit over the horn of a saddle:

I liked how they turned out, but figured I could make them better, so I redesigned the pattern for a second set:

These are a little shorter than the red ones, and have a cleaner finished appearance:

Both have velcro fastenings, so the pouches can be opened and closed.

With a doll and saddle:

I’m really happy with how the pink set turned out in the end. I’d like to re-work my older saddlebag pattern now, partly to see if I can simplify it, but mostly because I want them to match. 😁

Read Full Post »

A couple weeks ago I finished up a set of reflective boots:

These have been sitting on my desk for months.

It’s been a long time since I finished a set of boots like these. The design has been giving me trouble but I think I’ve solved the issue… hopefully!

I’m glad to have them done, but they’re kind of sloppy and I think I can do better. The reflective strips work, but I’ve learned that if a speck of glue gets on it it’s there for good, argh! 😦

I did feel inspired to make a reflective quarter sheet to go with it. It’s been on my do-to list for months anyway, so why not!

Here was one of the references I used:

Amigo Reflective Competition Sheet

At first I thought I would make it like I did the fly sheet, with a single layer and faux painted binding.

But I felt that it was too transparent that way, so I picked it apart and added a second layer from white fabric. It looked a lot better, but I couldn’t cheat with the binding anymore.

In the end it took just as long to make as a regular blanket, but I think adding the extra details was worth it.

I’m not sure how I feel about the piece around the neck though. It limits the horses it can fit, so I might have to try making another without it.

The reflective pieces are from an iron on high visibility tape I picked up at Joann’s. It worked out SO much better than the thin tape I used on the boots, as that had to be glued in place.

The human couldn’t be left out, so I put together a basic vest.

It’s a little big for the Yvonne doll, but I wanted it to be able to fit the Breyer and Mego dolls as well.

I’m happy I finally got around to making these pieces though! Now they can go out for a late ride… if she can ever get him tacked up…

“Human wat r u doin”

“HUMAN”

“STAHP”

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »