Archive for the ‘Miniatures’ Category

This weekend I’ve been making miniatures. With Halloween right around the corner, I wanted to make something Halloween-ish, and ended up with Sally’s potion jars and a couple of old books. (plus a bonus stool!)

The jars come from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, in case you were wondering!

These started out as beads, buttons and tiny pieces of wood. The “Worm’s Wort” bottle isn’t movie accurate, but I really like the shape so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Caught the rare moment when sunlight hits the desk!!

I gave them all coats of black paint, then dry brushed them with silver. The Deadly Nightshade jar got a wire fastening added to it, and while it’s a little bulky and was super fiddly to make, I’m happy I decided to make it. (I can’t say I want to do that again though, haha) The labels I found online and resized in Photoshop.

The books were made from paper and scraps of leather I’ve held on to forever.

I tried to age them by sanding, scuffing and blotching on watered down paint.

It’s been such a nice change of pace to work on minis again… I’ve missed it.

Read Full Post »

This year I wanted to make a miniature box of chocolates for Valentine’s Day. The thought of having to sculpt them from polymer clay seemed like a lot of extra work, so I was going to scrap the idea and not do anything at all. But yesterday MyFroggyStuff posted this video on her YouTube channel:

I felt inspired to give it a shot. In the end, I probably spent just as much time on them as I would with clay (mostly on the box) but I’m really pleased with how they turned out.

My box was made of card stock, and painted with acrylics.

The chocolates were really easy to make. I would have liked to make more, but maybe that will wait till next year.

Valentine’s Day isn’t my favorite holiday at all.

Still, putting together random photos for it is fun anyway.

Read Full Post »

Yesterday I worked out a pattern for some more western saddle bags. These are designed to fit over the horn of a saddle:

I liked how they turned out, but figured I could make them better, so I redesigned the pattern for a second set:

These are a little shorter than the red ones, and have a cleaner finished appearance:

Both have velcro fastenings, so the pouches can be opened and closed.

With a doll and saddle:

I’m really happy with how the pink set turned out in the end. I’d like to re-work my older saddlebag pattern now, partly to see if I can simplify it, but mostly because I want them to match. ๐Ÿ˜

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »