For the first META maker’s challenge, I’m putting together a show saddle. (META‘s a new-ish forum dedicated to everything tack and performance related… it’s a small but friendly group, come join us!) The goal of the challenge is to try and replicate a piece of your choosing as closely as possible, as well as to challenge yourself with new things.
I’ve been meaning to put together a new show/pleasure saddle for a while now, but of course haven’t gotten to it yet. I think I’ve been putting it off. For some reason I find building saddles really intimidating. This one in particular will be tough, because I’m using a different tree and have every intention of fully tooling it.
I’ve never tooled leather before so this could be… interesting.
Anyway. Progress has been slow. I started off with a slightly modified TWMHC tree, then put together a paper pattern to fit it:
Next came the “scrap leather test” since paper is aggravating to work with like this. It helps me see what else needs to be modified before finishing up the pattern.
I have no idea if it’ll work or not but nevermind that… moving onward! The next step was to trace the final pattern pieces on a sheet of paper…
… then scan them into my computer and work with them in Illustrator. This is to give me a hard copy if I lose all the pieces, (I do that a lot with patterns…) refine edges and make certain pieces perfectly symmetrical. Overkill I suppose, but yeah.
I’ve printed up a copy and have been sketching out a tooling pattern… or rather, getting a better idea of how these patterns are actually put together. I have no idea what I’m doing. o_oI won’t be able to duplicate this in leather (haha that would be nice…) but it’s a start!