Posts Tagged ‘western’

Custom Fabric

I’m addicted to fabric. Or collecting it, actually. Every time I stop in at the fabric store I get completely distracted looking through all the different ones. I’m always keeping an eye open for in-scale-ish prints for model horse projects, but there are some patterns that I know I’m never going to find.

Soo… I’ve been designing my own. Last weekend I put together a few prints I’ve been wanting in Photoshop, then ordered a bunch of swatches from Spoonflower. They arrived today!


I had them printed on plain cotton… it’s what I use the most and was the least expensive option. Overall I’m really pleased with them. They did come out slightly larger than I expected (may or may not fix that, I haven’t decided) but they’re not too large to be unusable in this scale.

First, two camo prints, in pink and green: (with Roxy to scale)


A tie dye print:


And a galaxy print:


I wasted no time in ironing out the wrinkles and cutting them up for saddle pads.


The results… (minus wear leathers… I need to dye more leather aghhh)





I’m really happy with the tie dye and camo prints. The galaxy print is more grey and washed out in person (can only be expected with a pattern like this, really) and I’m not completely satisfied with it yet. But I’m excited because I’ve got more ideas…

As far as sales go, these particular pads will not be for sale, (they were experiments) but I’d like to offer these prints on the stuff I make sometime in the future. I’ve got a lot going on at the moment so it may not be till the new year, but we’ll see. 🙂

What are your thoughts? Anything in particular you would like to see?

Read Full Post »

Show Saddle – Part 1

For the first META maker’s challenge, I’m putting together a show saddle. (META‘s a new-ish forum dedicated to everything tack and performance related… it’s a small but friendly group, come join us!) The goal of the challenge is to try and replicate a piece of your choosing as closely as possible, as well as to challenge yourself with new things.

I’ve been meaning to put together a new show/pleasure saddle for a while now, but of course haven’t gotten to it yet. I think I’ve been putting it off. For some reason I find building saddles really intimidating. This one in particular will be tough, because I’m using a different tree and have every intention of fully tooling it.

I’ve never tooled leather before so this could be… interesting.

Anyway. Progress has been slow. I started off with a slightly modified TWMHC tree, then put together a paper pattern to fit it:


Next came the “scrap leather test” since paper is aggravating to work with like this. It helps me see what else needs to be modified before finishing up the pattern.

Progress02Once that was out of the way, I had to come up with a way to cover the pommel and gullet. I ended up forming a damp paper towel around the tree, then marked it to get the basic shape for my pattern.



I have no idea if it’ll work or not but nevermind that… moving onward! The next step was to trace the final pattern pieces on a sheet of paper…

Progress05… then scan them into my computer and work with them in Illustrator. This is to give me a hard copy if I lose all the pieces, (I do that a lot with patterns…) refine edges and make certain pieces perfectly symmetrical. Overkill I suppose, but yeah.

I’ve printed up a copy and have been sketching out a tooling pattern… or rather, getting a better idea of how these patterns are actually put together. I have no idea what I’m doing. o_oProgress07I won’t be able to duplicate this in leather (haha that would be nice…) but it’s a start!

Read Full Post »

Packing on the Brain

First off – last week I posted a bunch of things for sale on Etsy. I had a feeling they would go quickly but not at the speed they actually did. I’m surprised, but grateful. Thank you all so much!

I have been doing a lot of thinking about this lately though, and have decided that maybe it’s not the best idea to make stuff in batches and sell it on a specific day or time. I think a better route would be to add items as they are completed and really try to stay dedicated to that. I’m still trying to figure things out- I sincerely hope that no one is upset or disappointed with me. I’m a people-pleaser but I can’t please everyone, as much as I would like to.

I’ve got a stack of more pads in the works and will hopefully have them listed soon. I’d love to be able to list things weekly but I think every two weeks or so would be a more realistic goal…


I’ve FINALLY found a use for all that Algebra I had to study in college!!


Making patterns on graph paper is SO much easier than using regular paper… at least for me, since I’m really bad at making perfect angles on paper. Straight lines (with a ruler) are no problem, but when things need to fit together in a particular way graph paper is a big help. Annnd since I didn’t have any on hand besides old homework assignments… well, yeah.

Lately I’ve had panniers on the brain. (I really want to pick up one of Breyer’s pack sets) That led to google searches an an instant attraction to anything colorful. This set is based off of panniers that are designed to fit over a western saddle.


They’re not really meant for packing large loads, but from what I understand, would be good for hauling gear to camp or packing out game or something.




I had to make mine able to open and close as well…


I really ought to line it and I think I need to add a cinch of sorts, as I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t have one, but finding pictures is tricky.

So… yeah. That’s out of my system now so it’s back to work~

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »