Posts Tagged ‘misc tack’

Saddlebag Rainbow

This past week I’ve been making saddlebags. Lots and lots of saddlebags.

These were redesigned to match the horn bagsΒ and use a simplified pattern. I stopped making saddlebags because, to be honest, they were a pain to make. This version is easier, and I think it looks cleaner. I hope it’s an improvement?

Here’s a comparison between the two. This black one was a reject because of excessive glue spots, (I HATE those they never, ever come off!) so I apologize for the ugliness, but it’s the only example I have. :3

The water bottle holders are a touch bigger, which annoys me, but I wanted them to fit some dollhouse bottles I have on hand. If there is a hobbyist out there who can 3D sculpt/print a 1:9 water bottle, contact me. Seriously. They don’t exist but they need to. I don’t want to sculpt a polymer clay one ever again! πŸ˜…

On a saddle:

These particular sets will not be for sale online. I am taking them with me to BreyerWest next month, where they will be available at the swap meet. (unless they don’t sell, in which case they will be posted later)

In case someone’s wondering, no, I’m not comfortable taking holds or pre-sales, and will I have more made up later? Yes, because I want to make them in ALL the colors, but I don’t know when that will be. I’m sorry it’s such a vague answer and I’m sorry I can’t take orders for everyone. Right now I’m very BreyerWest focused, so everything else is out of mind.

Read Full Post »

Yesterday I worked out a pattern for some more western saddle bags. These are designed to fit over the horn of a saddle:

I liked how they turned out, but figured I could make them better, so I redesigned the pattern for a second set:

These are a little shorter than the red ones, and have a cleaner finished appearance:

Both have velcro fastenings, so the pouches can be opened and closed.

With a doll and saddle:

I’m really happy with how the pink set turned out in the end. I’d like to re-work my older saddlebag pattern now, partly to see if I can simplify it, but mostly because I want them to match. 😁

Read Full Post »

More Fly Masks

I have been in a really bad creative slump. I haven’t finished a piece for my horses since the end of May… and here we are at the end of July. 😦

When this happens I do one of two things: ignore it and push through with small fun projects, or back off completely until I’m feeling better. I hate doing that, so I figured I would try making something fun and easy.

It’s been years since I made fly masks for my models, and I’ve wanted to make updated ones, so I thought that would be a nice project to work on.

HAH.

The first one was inspired by Kensington’s fly masks for real horses. I think it turned out ok, but I really dislike the seam going down the sides.

For some reason I had my mind set on adding ears to a fly mask, and that turned out to be a lot more difficult that I thought it would be. Pattern making is HARD.

And sewing the stupid ears in was HARD too. I didn’t match the size of the ears to the size of the holes they’re sewn in to properly. To correct it I had to take the mask in more in the back, which caused it to fit strangely. (it fits the smaller headed horses now, so I guess that’s a plus)

The pattern got tweaked again (and again) until I was happier with the ears. On this mask, they’re still not fitting the holes perfectly BUT it’s a lot better.

I had to add another dart at the top for a better fit:

This one got a nose cover too. I mean WHY NOT MIGHT AS WELL.

It definitely wasn’t the “easy” project I was hoping for, but hey I finished three things! Silly looking things but still!

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »