Posts Tagged ‘In progress’

February’s over already… wait what?

I never made time to work on this month’s tack project, which annoys me, but I’m trying not to be too hard on myself because I’ve been working (and completing!) many sewing projects, mostly for the shop.

Here’s one of two blankets I finished. Adding a neck hood was a spur of the moment idea and I’m really happy with the result. I haven’t worked out a pattern for a full hood yet, but I’m sure I will eventually.

I mentioned draft sized blankets a while back, which I am working on… I’m just waiting on hardware at the moment! In the meantime my poor FVO is practically buried with in-progress saddle pads. There are blanket pieces piled on there somewhere too.

“Help me…”

A couple weeks back I received some new galaxy print fabric. (I’m always on the lookout for it, what can I say??) I’m so in love with this one and want to make galaxy patterned EVERYTHING… so far I have a couple English pads plus a cut back western one. (still in progress) There will definitely be some in my Etsy shop in the near future. (along with half a dozen other novelty-patterned pads)

My blog also reached a new milestone this month: 500,000/half a million views! I know, I know, numbers really aren’t important but I’m still excited to see that I’ve reached 500k. XD

And last but not least, Desktop Stables has an Instagram account, which I’ve been having fun messing about with. After refusing to upgrade my basic “dumb” phone for years, I’ve finally made the switch to a smartphone. I’m slightly irritated with myself for how much I like it already. ๐Ÿ˜›

I think that’s it for now… yay for a boring catch up post! Here’s hoping March goes well…

Read Full Post »

It’s been a productive, sewing-filled weekend. But I’m glad! Four pads down, three more to go!

It’s been a while since I’ve made any bareback pads, so I have a few of those in the works as well:

Also, I might have started something Christmas related… ๐Ÿ˜‰

Read Full Post »

I was hoping to have more posts (and progress!) made by now, but last week was rough and… yeah. BUT, some progress was made over the weekend!

I got the crown piece and browband made.

The crown piece is split, which is always a bit stressful (for me anyway!) as it can go wrong so easily. Mine isn’t exactly how I want it either… since I used two different buckle sizes on the cheek and throat pieces, I tried to cut the lace in the correct widths to match that. I came close, and everything buckles ok, but the hardware is really rough on the lace because it’s not exact. I doubt I could get it exactly right, but it’s something I need to pay closer attention to in the future. :/

The browband came out ok though.

Most of my references have this decorative stitching on each end, so I added that and went over it with the gold paint again. I kind of like how it’s tying together with the hardware and all.

The next piece I decided to tackle was the brass rosettes on the browband. On my refs, this is almost always a circle with a scalloped edge, and a cone-like shape in the center of it. (though I did find one made from pieces of leather!)
I really didn’t want to stick with a plain brass circle as a substitute, so I tried to make them from scratch instead.

At first I thought a 1/4 in circle would be large enough. I used a circle template to visualize this:

I used the template to cut a bunch of circles out from paper. In the end, I went with a 5/16 circle as it looked the best on the browband:

To make the rosettes, I rolled out a thin sheet of black polymer clay and used the template to cut out a tiny circle.

The “cone” shape was made by stacking even smaller circles on top of each other. It was very fiddly to get right, and I did have to squish up a few attempts before I got one I was happy with:

Instead of trying to make another one exactly like it, I decided to make a mold from Amazing Mold Putty. I picked up this stuff a while ago from Michaels and have played around with it for polymer clay food.

The copy isn’t quite like the original, but it’s fairly close. These I painted with gold alcohol ink:

They’re attached to the browband with E6000:

On the horse:

They’re not super shiny and perfect but I think they turned out ok. ๐Ÿ™‚ I am pretty happy with how this set is coming together. I still have plenty of pieces to make though. April’s nearly halfway over already, ack!

Read Full Post »

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »