Posts Tagged ‘english’

Is it weird that I find skiving leather almost therapeutic? I used to hate it.

This weekend has left me kind of down… partly from my own “you suck, stop trying” demons (don’t compare yourself to others, don’t do it IT’S A TRAP) and partly from bigger hobby problems. I love this hobby but sometimes it makes me feel incredibly sad, and when one hurts, we all hurt.
(on a side note, I also think witch-hunting is wrong and won’t make the first wrong right)

Anyway.

Lately I’ve been trying to figure out how to balance the hobby side of my hobby (aka personal, fun projects) and the “work” side. (aka sales pieces) I’ve come to the realization that I need to make some changes with this, because a) I’m unhappy b) there isn’t enough time for everything because I have a full-time physically demanding job and am always so tired and grouchy that my boss pokes fun at me and c) Etsy is… UGHHHH right now. I’ll save that for another post. Maybe.

I’m so grateful that Model Horse Place exists, and if you haven’t checked it out yet please do! The direction I want to take with my work (and to help this Balance thing) is to focus more on higher quality, one of a kind pieces that I can list as they are completed. I’ve been experimenting a little with how I sell my work, and I’m hoping that MHP works out. It could be exactly what I’m looking for.

The second part of Balancing is to stop working on sales pieces on the weekends, using that time instead for personal projects or *GASP* non-hobby stuff! (I mean summer’s coming! It snowed this morning but summer is coming!)

Will it help? I don’t know.

In an attempt to put this idea into practice, I put my current dinosaur blanket aside for the weekend. It needs leg straps but they can wait till Monday dangit.

I’ve been wanting to make more bridles lately. I want to get better at them but never will unless I put the time in soooo…

Close to 8 years ago I started a dressage bridle. I got as far as the noseband and quit for reasons I can no longer remember. I don’t know what happened to it.

I decided on making a simple bridle for my Strapless this time, suitable for lower level Dressage. I started off with the crown piece. Split crown pieces on bridles stress me out because it’s so easy for me to mess them up. In fact, as soon as I cut this one I thought I had butchered it, but after some careful trimming, I think I’ll be able to make it work.

Still, this was really aggravating. I put the project aside and told myself this was a stupid waste of time and that I should stick to sewing and and and and…

Today, I put together the noseband and cavesson. The process went a lot smoother, but I still have a lot of work left to do.

The weekend isn’t totally over yet, and I doubt I’ll get this bridle done, but it’s a nice change of pace.

Anyone else struggle with finding balance? Any advice??

Read Full Post »

Yay it’s finished!

And I don’t completely hate it!

And unlike my sad dressage saddle, it even got a girth!

Of course I can’t take credit for the pattern – that belongs to KeriOkie. But I altered and did some things differently, and if I make another one there are a couple more things I would do differently.

Mostly, it was just fun. 🙂

Read Full Post »

Recently I was inspired to try making another English saddle. I don’t build saddles very often… I’ve mentioned before that I find them intimidating, but at the same time it’s something I want to do more often and want to get better at, and like so many other things I’m into, I won’t get better unless I PRACTICE.

I still don’t really know what I’m doing though.

So when Carrie Olguin of KeriOkie Entertainment posted some new how-to videos on her YouTube channel, I really wanted to give another saddle a go. I mean, I need all the help I can get. XD I’m a bit stubborn and like to figure out how to make things on my own, but I also see value in following tips and tutorials by other tack makers, as it provides an opportunity to gather new ideas and try things you may have never thought of trying before.

I didn’t get a chance to start working on the saddle till this week. It’s become my after-work project, and I’ve been enjoying working on small steps at a time.

The first few days were spent cutting, dyeing and preparing leather:

Another was spent putting together the panels:

Followed by the saddle flaps:

Now that the weekend’s here I’ve had a little more time for it. It’s starting to look like a saddle!

Here’s how it’s looking today:

I have done some things differently than what was shared in the tutorial. I’m using a heavier metal instead of an aluminum can for the tree, I dyed all my pieces after cutting them out, and my stirrup bars are different from what was shown, just to name a few.

But it’s been so much FUN to put together, which is what I need with tack making right now. 🙂

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »