An ad for this flysheet kept appearing in my social media feeds. It comes in silver, white, and yellow ducks:

WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Essential Mesh II Combo Neck

It made me laugh. So I created a small duck pattern, had it printed on cotton through Spoonflower, then used it for a model horse sized blanket:

It still makes me laugh.

The blanket is fully lined and closes with tongue buckles in the front. The hood has velcro closures.

I wasn’t going to add the shoulder gussets, but I’m glad I decided to go with them. These were made with a new method I’ve been thinking about for months, just never got around to trying! They look so much nicer than my older ones, and are easier for me to make too. (so now I have no excuse to leave them off, lol)

Without the hood:

Off the horse:

As much as I’d like to keep it, this blanket is listed as an auction on Model Horse Place. If you’re interested in bidding, please check it out here!

Done!

Finally, this saddle is finished!

I can’t say this is the same saddle that I started four years ago, because it isn’t. It had to be completely re-worked. However, the vision I had for it remained the same, and honestly? I think it came out a lot better than it would have if I had made it four years ago.

I learned a lot from it though, and it’s the nicest saddle I’ve made so far. Any issues I see with it will only help me make the next one better. I think this is the 6th western saddle I’ve built, and the first in 5 years. (almost to the exact day, that’s really weird!)

Here it is on Lady Phase/Truly Unsurpassed: (who is probably my favorite LP ever, she’s gorgeous!)

Some detail shots… this silver is so hard to photograph!

On Roxy:

And the ISH:

How does it look on Zippo?

Here’s a comparison shot I took mostly for myself. The left is my second saddle, pretty much straight from a Rio Rondo kit. Made it in 2007.. ish? I’m pretty sure I used a thumbtack for the stitch marking and I can’t believe the silver tape plates are still on. 😀

It helps me to compare old work with new work, to see that yes, I have improved, and to not be so hard on myself. ❤

Even with this saddle's challenges I still had a lot of fun putting it together. I'm so glad I decided to re-start this project and see it through to the end!

The next step was to cover the seat piece. To give a little more shape to the seat, I added a crescent shaped piece of felt:

I used a thin faux suede fabric to cover the seat. It doesn’t fray easily, but I did go around the edges with black Edge Kote just in case. Because it was so thin, it fit around the felt shape pretty nicely, and I’m really happy with how that looks:

Then it was time to create the cantle piece. I got that smooth edge on one side by skiving down the edge and folding it underneath:

Once all that was attached and done, I realized that I made my upper skirt too short. Now it sticks out and I can’t un-see it UGHHHHH!! Too late now, keep going forward!

The last pieces I worked on were the off billet…

And the girth:

As of today, this saddle is DONE. It just needs some stirrup training and proper photos!