For Sale: New Saddlebags

Two sets of saddlebags were finished up this week:

Even with a simplified pattern, these things are tedious to make, which is probably why I’ve put off making more all year. (sorry 😦 )

I liked the last version I made well enough, but still felt that some things needed to be improved. I was eager to see how adding the plastic buckles would look, and am really happy with the end result. These are much closer to how I originally wanted to make them years ago.

The ribbon adds a little more strength to the bag, and I’ve added a small felt piece in the bottom to help that as well.

I added a lining to the back (this is faux suede, with the wrong side facing out) after debating about it for a while. I’ve also been trying to remember to attach labels to my work, since I can’t sign pieces like these.

These two are up for auction on Model Horse Place: RED & GREEN

Happy Halloween!

Spooky Minis

This weekend I’ve been making miniatures. With Halloween right around the corner, I wanted to make something Halloween-ish, and ended up with Sally’s potion jars and a couple of old books. (plus a bonus stool!)

The jars come from Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas, in case you were wondering!

These started out as beads, buttons and tiny pieces of wood. The “Worm’s Wort” bottle isn’t movie accurate, but I really like the shape so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Caught the rare moment when sunlight hits the desk!!

I gave them all coats of black paint, then dry brushed them with silver. The Deadly Nightshade jar got a wire fastening added to it, and while it’s a little bulky and was super fiddly to make, I’m happy I decided to make it. (I can’t say I want to do that again though, haha) The labels I found online and resized in Photoshop.

The books were made from paper and scraps of leather I’ve held on to forever.

I tried to age them by sanding, scuffing and blotching on watered down paint.

It’s been such a nice change of pace to work on minis again… I’ve missed it.