Ever since seeing the Icelandic horses at BreyerWest/NW Horse Expo, I’ve been wanting to make a model sized version of the blankets they were wearing.
Today I finally made that happen.
This is based off a real fleece rug produced by Top Reiter. Mine is made of cotton, with ribbon for the flag’s stripes. I was originally going to use folded bias tape for the stripes, and had it nearly all ironed out when ribbon came to mind. Sigh! Always have to do things the hard way first, I guess!
Breyer’s Icelandic and Rhian can share blankets, hooray! His had to be cut further back to fit around all that hair though.
I added tongue buckles on this one too. These actually help keep the blanket in place, because even with the neck cut back the blanket still wants to slide backwards.
Normally I wouldn’t add a company logo but since this is a personal piece I went ahead this time. It is based on a real one, after all, and those little details can add so much! ❤
I’m glad this is finally out of my brain now. On to the next!